SERVICE LEARNING PROGRAMME
Service Learning unites the academic and voluntary community service immediate and relevant. The objectives of this programme at Isabella Thoburn College are:
- To engage institution of higher education in issues of their communities
- To address and meet social needs
- To help students identify and understand cultural differences
- To enhance critical thinking
- To train young leaders
- To enliven academic disciplines
- To develop useful skills
AIDS Awareness Centre for Counselling, Education and Training
The Units of Service Learning Programme are-
- AIDS Awareness Centre for Counselling, Education and Training
- Centre for Women’s Studies and Development
- Centre for Education beyond Curriculum
- Nutritional Initiatives for Community Health and Education
AIDS AWARENESS CENTRE FOR COUNSELING, EDUCATION AND TRAINING (AACCET)
- The aim of AACCET is to encourage the college students to participate in spreading awareness on the issues of HIV/AIDS.
- It brings about an attitudinal and behavioural change among students towards people with HIV/AIDS and removes the stigma associated with it.
- The AACCET, since inception in 2002, has adopted a multi pronged approach which includes human resource building, participatory learning, development of communication tools, social and community action, networking and care and support.
- AACCET works in schools, slums and rural areas through peer education programmes, conducts workshops, seminars, exhibitions etc.
- AACCET works as a nodal agency providing training to teachers, counsellors and village animators working in various governmental and non-governmental organizations.
- It networks with national and international organizations.
CENTRE FOR WOMEN’S STUDIES AND DEVELOPMENT (CWSD)
- CWSD was established at the College in 1975.
- The objective of CWSD is to empowering women by creating and developing an understanding of the dynamics of the diverse issues.
- The CWSD has evolved a programme which aims at sensitizing the student body and raising awareness on issues of gender and society.
- Under CWSD programme, the students participate in workshops, seminars and informative lectures by eminent scholars, social activists and professionals.
- Faculty also participate in many activities of the Centre.
- The activities of the CWSD include lectures, studies and counselling, interaction with rural women, networking with social activists and NGOs, visits to Family Courts, Police stations, Rehabilitation centres and the Model Jail.
- The CWSD conducts the Legal Awareness Certificate Course which arms the students with functional legal literacy through knowledge of gender specific laws and their implementation.
NUTRITIONAL INITIATIVES FOR COMMUNITY HEALTH AND EDUCATION (NICHE)
- NICHE aims to empower the students with nutritional awareness and professional skills and involves in community participation.
- The objective of the programme is to develop among the students, the skills, habits and attitudes for healthy living.
CENTRE FOR EDUCATION BEYOND CURRICULUM (CEDBEC)
- The main objective of CEDBEC is to spread awareness and sensitization programme in the form of special lectures, talks by experts, quiz, essay, poster or slogan writing Competitions, interactive sessions and outreach programmes.
- It aims to develop enlightened, emancipated and empathetic students who have deeper understanding for the responsibility they have towards the society and the nation as educated citizens.
- It also aims to sensitize students about diverse issues of social, personal, national and global concern.
- It strives to develop sense of responsibility and willingness among students to go beyond them, to respond to the needs of other people’s as well.
- It creates understanding about the heterogeneous nature of the society and help students imbibe personal and social values essential to function as a productive citizen of the country.