NATIONAL SERVICE SCHEME
The catch-word for this government sponsored social service programme is ‘Not Me But You’. The objective of this scheme is ‘Service to Community’. It seeks. to arouse the social consciousness among students and provide them with opportunities to work with people creatively and constructively and to put the education they receive to concrete social use. In the process it helps students to develop their personality and experience. These objectives are sought to be achieved by enabling the students to : understand the community in which they work.
- understand themselves in relation to their community
- identify the needs and problems of the community and to look for solutions in which they can be involved
- develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility
- apply their education in finding practical solutions to the problems of the individual and of the community
- develop competence required for group living and sharing responsibilities
- gain skills in mobilizing community participation
- acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes
- develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and
- practice national integration.
National Service Scheme activities include a special ten day camp in an adopted village, rural or slum area imparting education and rendering community service.
A certificate is awarded to each student who participates satisfactorily as an N.S.S volunteer.