The objective of this government sponsored scheme is ‘Service to Community’.
It seeks to awaken the social consciousness among students by providing them opportunities to work with people creatively and put the education they receive to concrete social use. National Service Scheme activities include a special ten day camp in an adopted village, rural or slum area imparting education and rendering community service. The programme aims to achieve the following objectives by enabling the students to:
- identify the needs and problems of the community and to look for solutions in which they can be involved
- develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility
- apply their education in finding practical solutions to the problems of the individual and of the community
- develop competence required for group living and sharing responsibilities
- gain skills in mobilizing community participation
- acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes
- develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and
- practice national integration.
A certificate is awarded to each student who participates satisfactorily as an N.S.S volunteer.