NATIONAL CADET CORPS
The National Cadet Corps is an organization of Ministry of Defence which recruits cadets from schools and colleges. The N.C.C. provides a pool of disciplined and trained human resource that could be of service to the country in the event of any emergency like war and natural disaster. The motto of N.C.C. is “UNITY & DISCIPLINE”.
- To develop qualities of character, courage, comradeship, discipline, leadership, secular outlook, spirit of adventure, sportsmanship and the ideals of selfless service among the youth to make them useful citizens.
- To create a human resource of organized trained and activated youth to provide leadership in all walks of life including the armed forces and always available for the service of the nation.
The N.C.C. is open to all regular students on a voluntary basis. It is organized into three wings – Army, Navy & Air Force. Its training activities are as follows :
- The cadets are given basic military training in small arms parades for civil defence, self-defence and for social work for three years.
- This training includes physical training, drill, weapon handling training, shooting (firing) signalling, first-aid & cultural activities.
- For the intensive practical & theoretical training the camps are organized for 10-12 days by the regular army staff which is compulsory for all the cadets.
- At the end of their training the examinations are conducted by the N.C.C. Directorate for ‘B’ & ‘C’ Certificate. The certificates are issued by Ministry of Defence.
Cadet who pass ‘C’ certificate exams are entitled for several benefits :
- Can get weightage marks which are added to their university exams.
- Can get reservation in State & Central Police & Para Military Forces.
- A cadet with ‘C’ certificate & 50% marks can straight away apply to attend the interview by the service selection commission.